2017 SSC Young Theatre Professional Company
Summer 2017 is an especially exciting season to join our YTPC (July 2nd-August 10th). Work on a professional Equity Shakespeare production outdoors in historic Congress Park. We also offer the opportunity for you to be a part of our “Shakespeare For All” tour bringing a second production to different areas in the community. Focus on daily, rigorous training in Acting, Directing, Technical Theatre or Theatre Administration.
CHOOSE YOUR AREA OF TRAINING
- Acting Ensemble Track-participate in daily training (Voice, Movement, Classical Acting and Michael Chekhov) as well as in two productions. Plus get experience in a technical area. You must submit a résumé and headshot and audition in person at our auditions, or submit a video AND a letter of recommendation from a faculty member or professional who knows your work to be considered for this option.
- Directing Track-work on one of the two main-stage productions as an Assistant Director and in a technical capacity. You must submit a cover letter, résumé, and letter of recommendation.
- Technical Theatre Track-Opt for your area of work in Costume, ASM, Set or Sound as well as do Running Crew. (We will attempt to honor your request.) You must submit a cover letter, résumé, and letter of recommendation.
REASONS TO JOIN SSC’s YTPC
- The opportunity to receive transferable college credit for work & classes through Skidmore College (single-course tuition costs apply). SSC Participation Fee is not required if you choose this. See below for specific information.
- Housing is available at Skidmore College.
- Take all classes offered by the company.
- Earn Equity Membership Candidate points towards full membership in Actors’ Equity.
- Learn from professional theatre artists.
- Start your professional theatre career and build your network.
- Enhance your professional résumé working with an established professional company.
- Collaborate with students from other colleges. Our interns have come from such schools as from New York University, Boston University, Boston College, Hamilton, Pace, Temple U, Siena College, University of Nebraska, Syracuse, Boston College, University of Rochester, University of Cincinnati, Vassar, Skidmore College and many others.
- Enjoy Saratoga Springs in the summer!
- SSC Participation Fee (mandatory): $650
- Transferrable College Credit Fee (optional) : $2,355.
- Skidmore Housing (optional) : $238 per week
- Food Plan (optional): 10 meal plan- $97 week/14 meal plan- $135 per week
- Scholarships toward the SSC participation fee only, may be available on a case-by-case basis.
A TYPICAL DAY MIGHT INCLUDE
9:30 – 11:00am:
Actors: Ensemble Warm-Up, Voice, Movement
Directors: Meet with MainStage Director Tech/Design: Meet with Mentors
11:00 – 12:00pm: Lunch
2:00 – 5:00pm: Mainstage Rehearsal 5:00 – 7:00pm: Dinner
7:00 – 9:00pm: YTPC Production Rehearsals – “Shakespeare For All” Tour
- YTPC Members start every day with ensemble work and training
- YTPC Technical Interns work with professional tech staff to build sets & costumes
- YTPC Actors rehearse days/evenings with professional company in performance roles
- YTPC Interns serve as running crew, sound technicians, costume crew and assistant stage managers
- YTPC Actors rehearse evenings on SSC’s “Shakespeare For All” Touring production.
YTPC Members who are not enrolled in the Skidmore courses or opt not to take advantage of Skidmore housing must seek their own housing provisions. Many in the past have had their own access to a local residence or found housing in the area. It is useful to have a car (or bike if you reside in downtown Saratoga).
SSC Young Theatre Professionals Company Members have the opportunity to receive transferable college credit for work & classes through Skidmore College. Tuition costs for either 3 credit upper level course is $2,355. A Skidmore College transcript will be available upon the completion of the season. SSC Participation Fee is not required if you choose this.
SKIDMORE COLLEGE COURSE DESCRIPTIONS
TH-304: Special Studies in Acting –3 credits
Students will train with and perform with The Saratoga Shakespeare Company, a professional Actors’ Equity theater. Students will be cast in roles in a production and will rehearse for a two-week period and then perform in the production for ten performances over two weeks. Training will involve techniques in Shakespearean acting, stage movement and combat, vocal work and career preparation. Students are eligible to join the Actors’ Equity EMC (Equity Membership Candidate) program and will accrue points towards Equity membership. Permission of the instructor is required for registration at Skidmore College.
TH-305: Special Studies in Theater Production – 3 credits Instructor: Lawrence Opitz (Skidmore Theatre Department Chair and Artistic Director of SSC)
Coursework will include production and performance work in preparation for all productions of The Saratoga Shakespeare Company summer season. Production areas can include technical theater, administration, costume, stage management, properties, or assistant directing. Permission of the instructor is required for registration at Skidmore College.
SSC YOUNG THEATRE PROFESSIONAL COMPANY AUDITION INFO
- If you are interested in a contract for this season, please send a letter of interest, headshot/resume and one letter of recommendation via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Auditions are scheduled for Sunday, April 9th from 9:30 am – 4:30 pm, on the Skidmore College campus in Saratoga Springs, NY, in the Janet Kinghorn Bernhard Theatre (JKB) rehearsal studio (2ndFl). Skidmore College is located at 815 N. Broadway, Saratoga Springs NY, 12866. Both production directors and the SSC Artistic director will be at the auditions.
- Details on how to set up an appointment are TBD.
- All SSC YTPC applicants are welcome to participate in our regular Equity audition, but you will be seen as time permits throughout the day.
- Actors should prepare one or two Shakespearean comedic monologues (about three minutes total). Actors should bring headshots and résumés to the audition.
If you are unable to attend the audition and want to be considered as an acting intern or apprentice, please send the following to email@example.com:
- A Shakespearean comedic monologue no more than three minutes in length total as a link to a video on Youtube
- A résumé, headshot
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher or theater professional
Please like us on Facebook and you can see photographs of our intern company from the last few seasons.
If you have any questions, please contact Tim Dugan, Associate Artistic Director and Director of SSC’s Young Theatre Professional Company, at 646-228-6460 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org