2015 Apprenticeships & Internships
Summer 2015 is an especially exciting season for us as we will continue our partnership with Skidmore College and be able to offer college credit and housing options for those who are interested. Also, for the first time there are three ways to be a part of SSC this summer. You can be a(n):
- Acting Intern –primarily focused on acting with technical and/or administrative responsibilities. Interns rehearse for the Intern production and may be cast in the production with the professional company. You must audition to be considered for this.
- Acting Apprentice – primarily focused on acting with limited technical responsibilities. Apprentices rehearse with the professional company and the Intern show. This is an opportunity for interns who have worked with Saratoga Shakespeare previously and student actors who have extensive experience.
- Technical Intern – work on set, props, sound, costumes and running crew with the professional staff.
- Administrative Intern – assist the day-to-day operations, marketing, social media and house managing.
Interns and Apprentices have the following options:
- The opportunity to receive transferable college credit for work & classes through Skidmore College (single-course tuition costs apply). See below for specific information.
- Intern and apprentice housing is available at Skidmore College.
- Intern production of a Shakespearean Comedy performed outdoors.
- Choice to opt for college credit through Skidmore ($2,205) or participation fee to SSC. Fee for interns is $650. Fee for apprentices is $450. Scholarships toward the SSC participation fee only, may be available on a case-by-case basis.
- Join E.M.C. (Equity Membership Candidacy) & earn points toward your Equity card.
- Take all classes offered by the company.
- Opt for your area of work preference in technical areas.
- Audition for a performance role or be cast as assigned.
Here’s how the season works for interns and apprentices:
- 5 week commitment: July 5-August 8 (the closing date is subject to change by a day)
- 2 weeks build & rehearsal period, followed by 12 performances on our permanent stage in Congress Park and then a couple of days of strike
- Acting Apprentices will also rehearse with another director for The Comedy of Errors
- Technical Interns will assist with design and operate sound, lights and be
running crew for Shipwrecked!
- Interns work days with professional tech staff to build sets & costumes
- Apprentices will both work days with the technical staff and rehearse with the professional company
- Interns rehearse evenings with professional company in performance roles
- Interns serve as running crew, sound technicians, costume crew and assistant stage managers
- Interns and apprentices break down sound, costumes & some set elements following each performance.
- Over the course of the month as time permits, master classes are offered to the interns and apprentices. Past classes have included Stage Combat, Stage Dialects, Master Acting Class (with Actors’ Equity members), Shakespeare’s Verse, and The Business: Agents & Auditions, etc. as well as the opportunity to observe other professional companies in the area.
Here’s how intern and apprentice “casting” works:
- Apprentices will be cast based upon auditions and are to be available for both full day rehearsals and whatever limited technical needs may arise.
- Interns will follow the general schedule of days in the “shops” with the professional tech staff and evenings (after an early dinner break) with the professional acting company in rehearsal.
- We will detail how to receive Equity Membership Candidate points in a “welcome interns and apprentices” letter that all receive upon acceptance!
Apprentices and interns who are not enrolled in the Skidmore courses or opt not to take advantage of Skidmore housing must seek their own housing provisions. Many interns in the past have had their own access to a local residence or found housing in the area. It is useful to have a car (or bike if you reside in downtown Saratoga).
College Credit Information (should you choose to opt for college credit):
- 3 credit course – either TH304 or TH305: $2,205 Tuition ($735 per credit)
- Skidmore housing: $203/week in a dormitory or $231/week in a Northwoods Townhouse (incudes a kitchen)
- Skidmore Food plan:
- 21 meals/week @ $196/week
- 14 meals/week @ $135/week
- 10 meals/week @ $ 97/per week
College Course Descriptions
TH-304: Special Studies in Acting – 3 credits
Students will train with and perform with The Saratoga Shakespeare Company, a professional theater with an Actors’ Equity contract. Students will be cast in roles in a production (subject to audition) and will rehearse for a two-week period and then perform in the production for twelve performances over two weeks. Training will involve techniques in Shakespearean acting, stage movement and combat, vocal work and career preparation. Students are eligible to join the Actors’ Equity EMC (Equity Membership Candidate) program and will accrue four points towards Equity membership. Permission of the instructor is required.
TH-305H: Special Studies in Design and Technical Theater – 3 credits
Students will be involved in various aspects of production and/or arts management with The Saratoga Shakespeare Company, a professional theater with an Actors’ Equity contract. Students will have a variety of opportunities to train and work in the areas of scenic construction, sound reinforcement, stage management, costume construction, arts management, and career development throughout the two-week rehearsal period and the two-week performance period. Permission of the instructor is required.
SSC Intern and Apprentice Company Audition Info:
- If you are interested in a contract for this season, please send a letter of interest and headshot/resume via email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AUDITIONS WILL BE SCHEDULED BY APPOINTMENT ON SATURDAY, MARCH 28TH, 2015.
- Auditions will be held at the Janet Kinghorn Bernhard Theatre (JKB) at Skidmore College on 815 N. Broadway Saratoga Springs, NY 12866 in Rehearsal Room A on the second floor. For directions go to https://www.skidmore.edu/directions/index.php.
- Call Linda Bertrand at 518-852-5931 for an appointment (If necessary, leave name & call back number) or e-mail, email@example.com.
- All Intern/Apprentice applicants are welcome to participate in our regular Equity audition, but you will be seen as time permits throughout the day.
- Actors should prepare one or two 1-2 minute long Shakespearean monologues (about three minutes total). At least one should be from a comedy. Actors should bring headshots and résumés to the audition.
If you are unable to attend the audition and want to be considered as an acting intern or apprentice, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A Shakespearean comedic and dramatic monologue no more than three minutes in length total as a link to a video on Youtube
- A résumé and headshot
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher or theater professional
Please like us on Facebook and you can see photographs of our intern company from the last few seasons.
If you have any questions, please contact Tim Dugan, Associate Artistic Director and Director of Apprentice/Intern Company, at 646-228-6460 or via email at email@example.com